The importance of your training environment

I signed up for a new gym yesterday and am slightly nervous about my first visit today, though I’m not entirely sure why. I’ve belonged to a smaller, local fitness center off and on for the last 3 years and have grown fond of it. It’s primarily a rock climbing/bouldering joint with a small gym that usually has no more than 3-4 other people working out, so I’ve rarely ever had to wait on anything. It was a block from my office and on the direct route I took to get home, it was affordable, and the owner addressed me by name and constantly complimented me on my arms and/or workout. It wasn’t perfect, but I had become comfortable with it. Unfortunately the relocation of my employer has placed me on the other side of town, making it difficult to drive over there and get a good workout in before I have to rush off to get my daughter. This new place is slightly out of the way, but it’s much closer to the office, so I’m hoping it will be a little more convenient.

The real convenience would be if I could build a monster gym and work out at home. I tried it on a smaller scale a few years ago, after my wife moved out, but it didn’t work out as I had anticipated. I ran out and picked up a bench and a couple bars, several hundred pounds in plates and dumbbells, weight stands to rack it all, and crammed them into the spare bedroom along with the receiver and floor speakers from the garage. I was able to squeeze it all in there, but it left little room to actually move around and any overhead movements were susceptible to interaction with the ceiling fan… Time for Plan B! I moved my project car out of the garage and cleaned it all up, got some rubber foam matting to prevent damage to the cement, and moved everything out from the spare room. This offered a little more openness, but now I was facing a few more issues:
1) I worked out alone (still do), and in my garage there was no one around to notice if I went too heavy or my grip faltered and I dropped 300lb on my throat, so safety was a concern.
2) I don’t know if you’ve ever been in a garage with attic access and un-insulated aluminum doors in South Carolina on a Summer day, but it got up to about 130 degrees in there and that just made it extremely difficult to get motivated. 3) Constant disruptions from my daughter, especially in regards to her expressed concern over my safety

There was little I could do about the last one, other than assure her I would take every precaution possible and beg for 45 minutes of silent observation, but I started looking for ways to cool my garage down since it had no windows and wouldn’t accommodate a window A/C unit. I also began researching ways to increase safety measures which lead to spotter stands and then to a power rack, which I just *had* to have. Due to their cost, it was going to have to wait a while, and as the months rolled by I eventually shoved all the equipment into a corner and brought my project car back in to work on. As New Year’s rolled around, adhering to all clichés as most undedicated (to fitness) dads do, I once again got the notion to “get back in shape” and tried splitting my garage space into one-part garage and one-part gym but, despite being a 2-car garage, there just wasn’t enough room for both with all the shelves, work benches and parts lying about. The car won out and I decided to just get rid of all the equipment I had procured since I was already facing existing issues.

I can appreciate the convenience of a home gym, and hope to one day have the land to build a shop large enough to function as both (or a home with a basement), though I’m quite aware it’s not all benefit:

Pros: No monthly fees so long-term costs weigh in favor as time goes on
Cons: The initial cost to get set up with the appropriate equipment of suitable quality will take several years to balance out versus monthly fees

Pros: The equipment is there and ready to use with no waiting on a particular piece or weight
Cons: If you’re working out alone then there’s no one around for a spot or to help out if you get in trouble (safety equipment to alleviate that burden will raise the initial cost more)

Pros: The conveniences of being at home (save time by cooking dinner during workout, saving time/gas by not driving to gym, being able to work out if you have the kids, being able to work out at any time of any day, etc)
Cons: The inconveniences of being at home (interruptions, the availability of space to create a gym without cramping yourself or anyone else, etc)

Pros: Can get creative with a variety of exercises that may not be available at your gym (hammer/tire or chopping wood, hill sprints, pushing/pulling a sled/car, etc)
Cons: Your limited equipment may mean a lack of variety in movements (unless, again, you increase costs)

A list of pros and cons for working out in a gym, or anywhere, for that matter, is probably just as balanced. I suppose if any of these options were perfect then we’d all be in shape and out of excuses… I don’t think it’s about perfection, though; it’s about finding what works for your lifestyle. And whether you work out at home or at Globo-Gym, if it isn’t the best fit for you, then it could have an effect on your performance.

Do you find your environment has an impact on your training? Do bright lights, cheerful pop music and colorful equipment raise your spirits and motivation? Does a dark, dingy dungeon strip away the distractions and help you focus on what needs to be done? What are your ideal gym conditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment